Clarifier Water Liquid Level Sensor


chemical-feed

chemical-feed

With 2013 ending as the driest year on record, and California facing dramatic water shortfalls, Governor Brown declared a drought State of Emergency directing state officials, water agencies and municipalities to take emergency actions to ensure the continued supply of safe drinking water to the state. About 60% of Southern California’s water supply is imported from Northern California and the Colorado River. The remaining 40% comes from a vast network of underground aquifers located throughout the greater Los Angeles and Orange County basins. Given the lack of natural groundwater replenishment (rain and Sierra snow pack run off) and continued high water demand, the aquifers are running in severe overdraft. To tackle this situation, municipalities are increasingly focused on strategies and infrastructure that address conservation, reclamation, treatment and replenishment of their ailing groundwater systems. In fact, many plant operators and city engineers see this as their greatest water challenge going forward. Before recycled water can be returned to an aquifer, it must be treated through physical, biological or chemical processes. At this treatment plant, an EchoSonic ultrasonic level transmitter is installed in each clarifier and provides continuous level data to the SCADA. The non-contact sensor was selected for its reliable, maintenance-free operation and corrosion-resistant packaging.